Sign the Petition
Press Releases and Statements
Virtual Movement Archive
Civil Liberties and Academic Freedom
Join our Listserv
Download HAW images
About us / Contact us
Historians Against The War
5-7 April 2013
“The New Faces Of War”
A Conference for Historians and Activists
Home | Conference registration | Conference Schedule | Hotel reservations | Conference flyer
Historians Against the War General Plenary Takeaways
- Solidarity actions with places which are still militarily colonized by the United States, especially areas in Southeast Asia or the Pacific theater
- Baltimore Peace Activists: Join a national organization and pledge a local peace group
- Outreach through HAW to the visual artist community
- Campus organizations for students, professors, and activists which target both peace activism and globalization awareness and protest movements
- Always room for working with the military to build antiwar efforts
- Blockade arms flows through ports, supply bases as a form of protest, activism
- Right to Heal campaign: activism for investigation of abuses against both soldiers and those abroad. For more information, please see: http://www.righttoheal.org.
- Demilitarizing the budget as a way to demilitarize the federal government as a whole, activism during ‘Tax Day’ as a means for this. For more information, please see http://www.demilitarize.org. After Tax Day, please see http://www.peace.action.org.
- Maryland United for Peace and Justice’s 26th Annual Conference in Hyattsville, Maryland on April 12th (evening) and 13th (all day).
- Awareness campaigns for student attendance at HAW conferences, need for new generation of peace activists
- Edit Wikipedia to help direct the public online narrative toward a more truthful telling of history
- Be Bradley Manning, i.e. be angry in a smart way, match intelligence with activism
- Fight the war industries in your hometown
- Google Search: Amnesty International + Kim Rivera: need for letters for her court martial. General amnesty campaign as well as donors needed. For more information, please see: http://www.resisters.ca.
- Global climate change as another new face of war?
- Need for a local face against the war, local citizens must understand how real the issues are to them
- More and more U.S. military bases are becoming drone ports: need for blockade here as well
- Jericho Movement: advocating for those who have been political prisoners. For more information, please see http://www.thejerichomovement.com.
- April 2013: month of activism against drone warfare. For more information, please see: http://www.worldcantwait.net. Also, http://www.warcriminalswatch.org.
- April 11: day of awareness for the Hunger strike in Guantanamo organized by Center for Constitutional Rights and World Can’t Wait
- Dallas, TX: Protest day at the opening of the George W. Bush Presidential Library
- Delegations abroad to show citizens of other countries that war is not the face of the United States
- Need for an online compiled source list of news sources and resources for research and activism
- Defending Dissent Foundation: building a ‘civil liberties wikipedia’ for online resources and compendium. For more information, please see http://www.defendingdissent.org.
- National Security Archive: good source for background information. Sources range from declassified gov docs
- Conference for a cross-discipline social scientists to share resources and ideas
- Abandon fear and speak truth to power: one of the core pillars of activism
- Withdraw economic support from repressive institutions as a method for activism
- Veterans for Peace: Please seek more information at http://www.veteransforpeace.org.
- Concentration of efforts on the cutting edge of peace movements, target issues like Bradley Manning and Drone Warfare
- Baltimore caucus for activism
- Need for academic research on tabulating the ‘new’ costs of war, including the humanity costs
- Human rights Working Group at Johns Hopkins: moratorium on drone research
- Vote for presidential candidates who support the peace effort
- http://www.Aneta.org Association for Nine Eleven Truth Awareness.
- Raise consciousness about world peace starting with individual peace, meditation as a method for individual peace. For more information please see: http://www.tm.org.
- http://www.goldendome.org. website for resources connecting those who meditate simultaneously to raise national consciousness from the population center of the United States in Fairfield, Iowa.
- http://www.Upstatedroneaction.org. Conference April 26-28 in Syracuse, NY.
- http://www.rafbaltimore.org. Deadline April 22nd to submit grants for progressive Baltimore organizations up to $2,500
- List of other website of interest: http://www.psysr.org – psychologists for social responsibility, http://www.mediatorsbeyondborders.org, http://www.transcend.org.
Historians Against the War is a network of history teachers, scholars,
and activists seeking to bring historical analysis to bear on U.S. foreign
policy and its social/political impact. To find out more, visit the HAW
website at www.historiansagainstwar.org.
The first HAW conference "Empire, Resistance, and the War in Iraq: A Conference for Historians and Activists" was held at the University of Texas, Austin, February 17-19, 2006.
The second HAW conference "War And Its Discontents: Understanding Iraq And The U.S. Empire" was co-sponsored with the Peace History Society and held in Atlanta, Georgia, April 11-13, 2008.