Historians Against the War
Sign the Statement
Press Releases and Statements
Virtual Movement Archive
Civil Liberties and Academic Freedom
Join our Listserv
Download HAW images
About us / Contact us
Statement by Historians Against the War
April 15, 2009
As historically minded activists, scholars, students, and teachers, we
stand opposed to wars of aggression, military occupations of foreign
lands, and imperial efforts by the United States and other powerful
nations to dominate the internal life of other countries....
Continue reading the statement and join HAW in our efforts to change U.S. policy!
Background: Historians Against the War (HAW) was formed at the January 2003 American Historical Association meeting in response to the Bush administration's threats against Iraq. Over 2200 historians signed a hastily circulated petition against the impending invasion. In September of that year, six months after the invasion, HAW decided to become an ongoing organization calling for an end to the occupation and a restoration of civil liberties in the U.S. itself. Since that time, HAW collected more than 2600 signatures on its revised statement; stimulated dozens of campus teach-ins; held three national conferences (2006 in Austin, 2008 in Atlanta, and 2013 in Baltimore); and gained passage by the American Historical Association of the first anti-war resolution in the AHA's history. In the spring of 2009, HAW voted to broaden the organization's self-definition by adopting a new mission statement.
See more of Josh Brown's Life During Wartime
- Remembering Muted Voices: Conscience, Dissent, Resistance and Civil Liberties in World War I through Today (October 19-22, 2017, National World War I Museum, Kansas City, MO, co-sponsored by HAW). pdf of cfp
- New book: Alice & Staughton Lynd, Moral injury and nonviolent resistance : breaking the cycle of violence in the military and behind bars (Oakland, CA: PM Press, 2017).
- New history website on United States foreign policy sponsored by HAW; contributions welcome
- Rosalyn Baxandall (1939 - 2015)
- Resolution submitted to the AHA protecting the right to education in the occupied Palestinian territories (Atlanta, January 7-10, 2016)